Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Why do you really procrastinate?

Why do you procrastinate? This is something I've had to ask myself recently.

The internet makes it really easy to procrastinate, doesn't it? But why do you really procrastinate? 
Do you allow laziness to take over more often than it should? Maybe your just avoiding the hard work you know you need to do? Maybe its a certain chapter or you just don't feel like taking the time to research what you need. Or is it something bigger?
Maybe you're afraid?

Afraid of what you ask?  Well maybe you're afraid of what happens when you finish your MS? Because once you're finished then you must move on to the next step, which is have a critique partner look at it. Maybe you're afraid your critique partner will come back saying they "don't get it".  Or maybe its because having your work critiqued puts you a step closer to querying. Maybe you're afraid of rejection by agents? Or maybe you're afraid of what happens after you land an agent. Maybe you're afraid you won't land a publisher? Or maybe you're afraid of bad reviews?  And then maybe you're afraid if you are published you're book won't sell? Or maybe you're afraid of public appearances? The list goes on and on. There's a lot to be afraid of and While I'm sure all of these things are in the backs of each and every one of our minds. Are you still ready to go all the way and face each of these things?  Or not?

If you're procrastinating maybe you should ask yourself why.

For me, I procrastinate because I have the occasional lazy fit and I'm short on time. But you know as well as I do, when you want something bad enough you'll work it into your schedule. If you're passionate enough about it.

I also needed a little help in being more productive with out putting crazy amounts of pressure on myself. A big help is setting short term realistic goals and doing short bursts of writing. Micheal Hyatt posted a blog about "batching". What's batching? Well, I've give you a quick idea so you know if you're interested before clicking on the link. 

Batching
Batching is simply a form of time management that allows a person to maximize concentration and decrease distraction. Batching is setting aside an intentional amount of time for intentional tasks and making an intentional effort to not allow the distractions or interjections of others break that focus.

He singles out one method of batching called the Pomodoro Technique.

It basically gives you a formula of how long your attention span is good for. How long you should write and break, or do anything for that matter. I found it very helpful, maybe you will too? Good luck with your procrastination!

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I think all those fears are legitimate, but I guess we won't know until we try. I can't sit for six hours and write. I can write in the early morning, and then I really don't write again until the evening. It works for me.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thnx. I wish I had the silence to write in the morning. My lil man doesn't let me have much time. I usually have to wait until he naps. I am doing better with the shorter bursts though, but if it just starts flowing I just go w/ it.

    ReplyDelete