Friday, April 14, 2017

Why do you write?



Sometimes I wonder "Why do I want to write?" For six years I've been fiddling with an MS I can't seem to let go. I took a break from writing, we started having babies, work, homeschooling, life etc... but that MS was always there in the back of my mind. 

     While watching my toddler playing soccer my mind would drift off to that MS, whispering to me. Slipping ideas and scenes into my head. Or maybe I'd be driving, kids in the back yelling and giggling, music playing and a song comes on and it reminds me of my MS and I can see my characters in that song. Wherever I go that MS follows me. 

     Now, I am one who believes everything happens for a reason. We may never know why they happen, and frankly I'm okay with that. There are a lot of unexplained things in our universe. But I think when a story you've created, even years ago, continually creeps into your mind even at the most inopportune times, you know what needs to be done. Call it your characters or your mind they aren't going to leave you alone until you finish the job.

     So I guess part of me writes because I feel I have to. For some peace. I think another part of me writes because as I read the work of other  authors I'm inspired. I'm so happy to escape  into that world they've created, even if it's for a short while, that I want to do that. I want to create my own world for others to visit and love. Passing the baton, so to speak. 

    I also write for the words. I am continually amazed how simple everyday words when paired with others and put in specific orders can turn things from plain to magical. Not just in books, but even in music. Some lyrics just floor me. Sometimes I think song writers have a harder job than novelists. Getting their message across in fewer words and sometimes with the added challenge of having them rhyme... Just brilliant. Listen to the lyrics sometimes, you'll see what I mean. 

Why do you write? I know I have few followers, if any who are active especially after my long absence, but if you happen to relate to this blog please feel free to comment and share. Thanks have a great weekend, and Happy Easter! 

Also, here is a LINK  to an article about famous writers such as Sylvia Plath, George Orwell, Chuck Palahniuk, John Green, Ronald Dahl, and others and why they write... Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment